Just as David, Amy and I were coming back from the Wash U event at the Times building, the NYPD were giving a dandy little parade down Houston. We decided to wait for a bit (not that I could have crossed the street to get back here if I wanted to), and sure enough a battalion of motorcycles blazed through, followed by a series of black SUVs and an ambulance (eek, too real). David thinks he saw Obama's silhouette in the biggest SUV. They were moving so quickly I don't know what I saw, but I thought I saw someone. Still, it's probably the closest I'll ever get to the most powerful man in the world, and being a patriot, I was pretty excited.
It's fitting that I saw the Presidential Motorcade on the same day I went to the NY Supreme Court. David had to wait for some papers, so I took the chance to check out legal life (it's nice that there's still a profession more scorned than journalism, isn't it?).
The court is rather artful. There's a rotunda that honors other judicial systems and icons: Greeks and Romans, Jews and Catholics, The Egyptians, Lincoln, Marshall, and Moses.
Looking around, I realized that this is our cathedral. Other countries have Westminster Abbey, the Vatican, Notre Dame. How pretty to think that in our country the cathedral is a court and the G-d we share is Justice.
Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment